Vision and Innovation
While a Professor of Ophthalmology at Emory University School of Medicine, Keith Thompson MD, and bio-medical engineer Jose R. Garcia began work on a new electro-optical telehealth system that could bring comprehensive eye care directly to primary care care patients to increase access and reduce costs. With support from private investors and Georgia Tech's Venture Lab Program, the Telmedix System was developed and passed clinical testing.
The Telmedix System is the first technology that enables eye doctors to conduct eye exams remotely through the Internet and consult with patients in real time. Its flexible platform can be expanded to bring many other specialty medical services to primary care patients.
Telmedix Clinic at Oakhurst Medical Centers' (OMC) Main Campus in Stone Mountain
OMC is a community based, primary care clinic that has provided quality, affordable, culturally sensitive and accessible healthcare to the residents of DeKalb County since 1980. Each year, over half of OMC's patients require a visit to an off-site medical specialist, adding costs, inconveniencing patients and impairing the coordination of care.
Jeff Taylor, OMC's CEO, envisioned using the Telmedix System to bring eye care specialty medical services directly to OMC's primary care patients, on-site and on-demand. Thompson and Taylor worked together to deploy the Telmedix System in OMC's main Stone Mountain Clinic to make eye care and other specialty medical services available to OMC patients.
The Telmedix System has been deployed in the OMC in Stone Mountain, GA where over 1,000 patients have been seen. The Telmedix Clinic at OMC represents the leading edge of healthcare reform, where innovators are using new technologies to increase access, reduce cost and enhance the quality of healthcare.
Founders Leaders in medicine, business & technology
Keith Thompson MD, CEO
- As Founder & CEO, developed & introduced Laser Vision Surgery into a profitable business model: EmoryVision
- Grew revenues from 0 to $20M w/$4.5M EBITDA and achieved successful exit with local venture capital firm
- Developed the Telmedix System with Co-Founder Jose R. Garcia in the Georgia Tech Venture Lab Program
- AOA Graduate of Southwestern Medical School, Dallas. Top Ten US Medical School
- Ophthalmology Residency at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami- #1 eye program worldwide
- Professor of Ophthalmology, Emory University 15 Years
- Combines broad understanding of Primary Care & Specialty Medicine with expertise in Physiologic Optics/Diagnostic Technology
Jose R. Garcia, CTO
- Project Management
- Engineering Applications Development
- Large-Scale Systems Integration
- Director of Engineering, Notice Now
- Medical Technology
- Vision Correction
- Software Development
- Healthcare IT
- Motion Control
- Power Generation
- Medical Research